SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Let's hear you favorite moment this summer

2K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  smurphny 
#1 · (Edited)
Summer is either half done or just getting started depending on where you are. Hopefully the best is yet to come.

If you had to pick one memorable moment this summer what would it be? Anything from watching your boat at anchor while eating a nice dinner on a balcony to a party at a yacht club or a sense of accomplishment seeing a project you did successfully completed. Maybe you keep your boat on land in the winter so the excitement of that first splash. A perfect day of sailing nowhere. A favorite place.

I don't have one moment that stands out so I willl choose the weather. Two weeks ago. Maybe three the sun came out and it hasn't left yet. That is what I like best. The perfect weather. And knowing its only the beginning.

#2 ·
Sitting on the beach with a nice campfire July 4th watching the fireworks on shore with a belly full of fresh caught dungeness crab and a cold beer and vacation hasn't even started yet.

Reactions: T37Chef
#3 ·
Since summer started june 25 or there abouts, has until sept 25 or there abouts to end, not much of a summer so far! But July 4 at fishermans bay on lopez was just fine and dandy! Racing starts tomorrow night for 7 weeks.......then the booby race aug 17 still in first place as I type this, with last years winner half a bouy away! labor day at ludlow.......race or two in sept, FWB 1st sat in oct.....oops, now I am into fall.......styc fall regatta oct 19th, day after b-day! then its t-line 2nd weekend in november....snocrummy in early dec......not even winter yet! still fall! lots o phun coming up!

Marty

#5 ·
Hard to choose, but last weekend sailing a fast reach for 7 hours, full sail, following sea (oddly, wind had shifted from E to S, headed W) was some foin foin sailin. Surging well over hull speed every few sets. Neutral tiller. She was sailing herself.

Day 161 on our little Hunter 23.5, and she's showing us new things. To look at her, you wouldn't think she had it in her.

#6 ·
I was at the end of the dock! had my winston pirate flag up! same as in my handle pic! got in mid day on the 4th, left early on saturday to head home. I was between a BIG sea ray, and a Jeanneau DS44, which was south of a cat 42 mk II and a cat 320! not sure what was north of them. Probably part of the sea ray owners group that was up there. My YC had 43 boats, pretty much the whole south part of the main dock.

I do recall a couple of crazies that were trying to sail in the harbor, hope you were not one of them. One boat in our group grounded and lost two props!

Marty

#8 ·
If April 7th qualifies in your book as summer, I would have to say the sound of the new engine firing up for the first time. It was especially sweet because we stored the boat on the hard for two years to save enough money to buy it. Another was the recent completion of an upgrade to the battery systems. As for sailing, this past holiday wekend was pretty spectacular on the Cheesy, great winds and clear skies all week, not even one thunderstorm until Sunday night ;)

#11 ·
We've had very consistent SW'er blowing 15-20 sometimes 25. Not always perfect weather, a bit of fog and low vis, and some thunderstorms, BUT, that SW has given us some of the best day sails I can recall. Beautiful reaches back from the Vineyard. Last night we left the cruising boat tied up and sailed one of the club 420's, and just stuck that baby on a plane and kept it there.

#12 ·
Last Sunday afternoon, after a long and very active July 4th weekend that started Wednesday night and kept on going with parties, jams, beer gardens, biking, volleyball and more, my favorite moment of the entire summer, perhaps sad to say but it was soooo relaxing, was being rocked to sleep, napping below decks after a swim while anchored off Great Captain Island, Greenwich, CT.

#13 ·
So far.... Just finished our annual 10 day cruise with good friends. Recreating MJ's "Thriller" video, at 2 am, with an ipad, inside the cabin of an Oday 25.

I would love to show the video but I am sworn on punishment of death that it never hits the internet.

#14 ·
It was a late start to the season for us but sailing has been fantastic so far! A bonus to the hot weather last week was water temperatures in the mid 70's around the islands in Penobscot Bay. Relief from the heat was just off the rail, and we swam as long as we wanted(not the July norm in Maine).

West winds have made for screaming reaches on flat water.

#15 ·
If i can take a liberty with the timing, for us Summer has not started. It will in a week and a half, when we take delivery of our new Jeanneau 50DS, and sail her (ok motor too) from Annapolis to NJ. That will be both the beginning of our sumemr, and my favorite moment.

PS- This week and a half is going by SO slow!

#16 ·
Not just a moment but a long weekend. Last weekend we went to the Catalina Rendezvous On Catalina Island. It was an eleven hour trip there from Channel Islands harbor. It was quite cool and overcast on the trip there but once we arrived the sun came out and we had a great weekend. 72 degrees in Two harbors and 98 degrees back at the house. Heading back, again very cool until we hit the harbor. I need to go back!

#19 ·
Short tacking out of Malaspina Inlet with my wife at the helm and me handling sail trim in about 10 knots of wind. Planning tacks around the rocks that we had to dodge and trying to be efficient while doing so. Great sailing! It was even more fun seeing another boat follow us out (two at first, but one gave up and fired up the iron genny).

Or maybe it was the peaceful night that we had in Isabel Bay just the night before, with the whole cove to ourselves and not a sound in the world. We read aloud a couple of chapters of "The Curve of Time" (much thanks to Faster for mentioning it on Sailnet in another northoceanbeach thread) every night and it's been a great addition to our travels here.

#20 ·
First sail on our new boat. First day 206 miles. Second day on deck alone at end of watch at ~5a. No land in sight. ~50m off N.J./N.Y. coast. Can see thunderstorms and lighting over land to port for miles on end. Dark and stars to starboard. Only sounds those god made. In 35kts true DDW with double reefed main and full solent on pole wing and wing averaging 9-10 with 11+ when wave comes under counter. Boat on autopilot. Standing hanging on to back of hard dodger with face taking spray from time to time. Wife comes out of companionway with hot oatmeal, coffee and a kiss. She takes watch. Perfect.

#22 ·
Damn, that one's tough to beat... Sounds like a very fortuitous beginning to life with your new boat...

most memorable for me so far has been, oddly, under power... Good news is, the summer is still young, and I've yet to do any real sailing on my own boat yet...

Almost 48 straight hours of motoring up through Exuma Sound and into NW Providence Channel, on top of an absolute mirror... Totally surreal, especially at night...

#21 ·
Unexpected *huge* fireworks display the night of July 6 from a shoreline about 100 yards from our mooring, on a dead calm night without another person anywhere in sight.

We learned the next morning that it was put on for a nearby campground and they do it every year the Saturday night of 4th of July week. The complete surprise of it was pretty neat for us. It rivaled the town fireworks we watched on the actual 4th.

#23 ·
5 miles off Wallop's Island at daybreak, making 4 knots with a gentle breeze just forward of the beam and calm seas: my wife and I are having coffee - and we see a rocket launch from the "space port" there.

#24 ·
Outside Frying Pan Shoals back in May, middle of the night, the moon rising intermixed with the clouds that hang over the Gulf Stream. The moon, almost full, broke through coloring the surrounding low clouds blood-red. It was quite eerie reflected on the silky surface of the sea. I wondered how far I was from the Bermuda Triangle! It was indeed surreal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.