SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who sails with their Golden Retriever
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Who sails with their Golden Retriever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistle Dew View Post
Who sails with a big dog and how do they do it? Just lost my beautiful Golden Retriever Girl who was a pretty good sailor. Does anyone else sail with a big dog? What tips do you have?
Sorry for your loss.

Don't sail with a Golden Retriever - but we have three other large dogs sailing with us regularly.

Two Boxers and one German Shepard (My brothers), we have sailed couple of weeks with all three on board during a summer cruise but most often one or two.

Generally it's considered a good thing to expose dogs to as many new impressions as possible before the age of 3 months. They seems to be more open to new stuff at a young age.

Sailing with dogs is a bit like sailing with children, adjust to the smaller crew (time at sea, the weather you go out in).

Find out where the dog is most comfortable when sailing, most dogs like to be close to their owners.

Grown dogs don't like their "stuff" on the boat (=home), so if you plan to stay out of harbor for a long time - try to rain the dog to do the "stuff" on mat in a designated place.

PFD for dogs is important, get one with good lifting handles and attachment for lifeline. Let the dog get used to swim with it (just like children)

Can I get shore leave now? (Gaia)

On Shore leave (Dina)

All three playing (German shepherd Chana)

We can smell land - shore leave soon?

The navigator
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook