SailNet Community - View Single Post - 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
If they were hard pressed on the hull maintenance how can we be sure the engine was the brand new one shown in packing, or what looks like an old but rebuilt one in the clean engine room looking like its being put in, not taken out.

I'm not being accusatory... I just think the photo in Post 35 doesnt gell and need professional eyes to have a lookie
Mark, "Hard-pressed on hull maintenance" might be a little hard on them. If you've any idea what it costs to sand and paint the hull of your boat, imagine what it costs (labour + paint) to do something the size of Nina?? They'd leave it until the next haul-out if they could.

Anyways, from what I see in that photo, I'd say they've lifted the engine and cleaned up/rebuilt underneath it. The mounts haven't been installed yet, but the bearers are there and primed ready to receive them.

I imagine the very next step would be fitting new mounts on the engine and marking the positions out on the bearers before the engine goes back down.

There could be a couple of reasons why the "old" engine is hanging there - but one possibility is that maybe they needed to hire a crane/hoist to shift it out of the engine bay. In this case, the logical thing is to pull the old one out and put the new one whilst you've got the gear on-site. No?

How can you be sure the "new" one in packing went in? Using those photos alone, you can't.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see Jon's reply on the same topic. FWIW..

Last edited by Classic30; 07-11-2013 at 12:39 AM.