SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you wear a life jacket?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
When single-handing, which is 90% of the time, I wear an inflatable w/ harness or a harness and standard jacket. I am tethered (with a double-line tether) to a jackline all the time. I don't unclip until down the companionway. When within swimming distance to shore, I'll unclip and take the jacket/harness off. They are awfully uncomfortable (Comfort Max is a misnomer) after many hours and a gigantic relief to remove. With no one to turn the boat around to scoop you up, falling in is likely fatal.
This is almost exactly what I do. With some modifications:

When single-handing, which is 50% of the time, I wear an inflatable w/ harness. I am tethered (with a single-line tether) to a jackline all the time. I don't unclip (and take the pfd off) until down the companionway. When within swimming distance to shore (and including water temperature and currents in that calculation), I'll unclip but keep the jacket/harness on. The inflatable is very comfortable.

Once I have the jack line setup. I'll generally leave then setup for many weeks.

Regards,
Brad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook