SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you wear a life jacket?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

I guess because I am usually, 90% of the time, single handing, including my row out to the mooring, I have adopted the habit of wearing my inflatable all the time. All the time, that is, when I am on the salt water here in Maine. I have "seen" some tragic accidents that have both cost a life or nearly have. Falling off the dock almost drowned a friend in Eastport. Someone saw his hat floating in the water and went in looking for him. He survived. Another good friend fell off his boat at his mooring in Northeast Harbor and no one heard his yells for help. He couldn't get into his dinghy and almost lost the battle to hypothermia. Accidents are just that, accidents. I am as used to putting on my inflatable as my sunglasses. It has a pocket for my hand held vhf and that is convenient. I like the red accent, too. Very stylish!

There are times I am on the water that I do not wear one. I paddle canoes and still do a little racing. When I am paddling a positive floatation flat water boat on flat water I have one in the boat but don't wear it. In white water races or on long camping cruises that involve crossing large lakes with a loaded canoe, I wear one.

If you have been close to the tragic. permanent, loss from a drowning that, could have been prevented with a PFD, It might temper your perspective on the slight inconvenience of wearing one.

Be safe!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 07-11-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook