SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battening down for heavy weather
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I also forgot, but this really depends on the igenuity and the extent of the damage. The jury rig, as you call it.

By experience I have seen how hard and critical a dismasting can be.

The few seconds after it happens, and no one knows what is happening are terrifying, specially at night and in seas/winds.

The fear, the scare, followed by complete lost of sense of what is going on is terrible...one never knows what hit us...and how...

Next, as the adrenalin flows away, and you try to do your best, you need to start thinking the pros and cons of your decisions.Start the engine??? yes?? No???

Often in a dismasting, shrouds, halyards, sails, all "travel" underneath the boat. Now start the engine and you're done, don't start you're done.

CUT CUT CUT CUT throw away what you can't salvage (save as much shroud and halyard to help you later...don't start throwing stuff to the sea...you might need it.
Depending on the seas and the boat conditions, save all you can, just in case.

Then hopefully the **** will sink, then start the engine, and pray nothing there.....

OK nothing there....how do we get home??? We sailors (the ones that go to sea) all have a little McGyver inside, some ingenuity, rig a spinnaker pole, hoist it as a mast, use one of the saved halyards, sail back home with that!!!

A good spare pole, extra boom, whatever you can use to make a jury rig...

OK we're home....next, a spare rudder, how to get home if it's gone???

It's all seamanship and experience that only the sea can give you....

I'm poethic today!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook