SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you wear a life jacket?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallySailing View Post
Both Baltic and Crewsaver make them. Most other manufacturers here offer life jackets with crotch straps and you can buy sprayhoods to retrofit onto your existing gear.
I don't think that any of the European brands are USCG approved, which limits their appeal (and therefore availability) in the US. Even Spinlock, which is sold here, isn't USCG approved. I'm guessing that the market isn't big enough and the local competition well established so they just don't bother. Of the US manufacturers, as far as I am aware, Mustang is the only one who sells a retrofit crotch straps and no one offers spray hoods - anybody know different?

Retrofitting a spray hood isn't easy unless the life jacket was designed for one. You would have to come up with a method of attachment (the one's I've seen have a loop on the life jacket cover and a toggle on the hood) and there has to be enough room to roll up the hood and fit it inside the cover. Not impossible to accommodate on a jacket that wasn't designed for it but not plug & play. If the loop and the space are included in the design, then it's just a matter of including the hood or offering it separately.