SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replace cotter pins with welding rod
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Replace cotter pins with welding rod

I like rings too, basically because of no sharp points, but they CAN unwind on their own. They can also get bent which makes them a bitch to remove.

This welding rod idea is interesting - eliminates the need for rigging tape with its downsides. A small roll on board means you're never out of the right size pin as well. It's essentially a variation on safety wiring bolts.

P.S. If you follow Rod Stephens advice you don't need to replace cotters every time you remove them. Clip them short - just enough length to get a decent end on them, then spread them about ten degrees or so. They don't need to be wrapped back on themselves to stay in place. The small spread on a short end will keep them just as secure and squeezing them with pliers to remove them flattens the end enough to be reusable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 07-11-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook