SailNet Community - View Single Post - Know the rules!
Thread: Know the rules!
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Know the rules!

Chef, this has actually happened to me this year – TWICE! Both times I was flying a spin shorthanded and with rookie crew members to boot. Both times we were on starboard board and the crossing boat was beam reaching also on starboard. Because the beam reacher was leeward of us as the situation developed, he was privileged and we burdened. The complications for us is we were flying the A-kite at the time and our only option was to head up and go in his same direction albeit on our ear. (trust me, you don’t want to crash gybe a kite with a rookie crew on San Francisco Bay in the afternoon. Round-downs always end ugly). We were able to execute our heating up maneuver without anyone going over the side though it took a bit getting the kite back under control. The second time it happened, the other skipper was pretty thoughtful and he hardened up a little bit and he crossed safely behind us. Sometimes, common courtesy is a privileged skipper giving up his “rights” in order to help another skipper out. That other skipper was a real mensch – he altered his course just enough to communicate his intentions to us and promptly went back to his base course without losing much, if any ground.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 07-11-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook