Thread: Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Re: Full Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Dave:
No, not really. The PHRF number will give you an indocation of a boats overall performance. There is no correlation between PHRF rating and comfort and capsize ratios (you guys get so obsessed with these numbers!).

If you really wanted to find a good light air boat using PHRF ratings you would have to gather a list of the different ratings for the same boats in different areas of the country. PHRF ratings will vary in different parts of the country.

For instance if a V40 rated 122 in Seattle and 132 in San Fran that would tell me the boat does better in Seattle's light winds compared to San Fran's heavy air. The lower the number the faster the boat.
Bob,

I'll have to admit, I'm a little linier in my thinking and, although I don't think I obsess over the numbers, with little actual experience and a very wide variance in the often anecdotal opinions out there, I do pay attention to them.

Lacking actual on-the-water experience I think the numbers give me a way of comparing apples to apples when looking at different models.

Incidentally, I always use the P365 and O36 as my benchmarks, comparing the various models with boats that I actually know...gives me an indication about the one I'm researching

V/R

Dave

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook