SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replace cotter pins with welding rod
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Replace cotter pins with welding rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
One interesting point that was made in the article is that the removal of welding wire is easier and faster in case of a de masting..which our vessel experienced..
When a rig comes down I wouldn't want to have to unscrew the bottle screw - you need more tools for that and it takes too long. It would make more sense to take the pin out of the bottom of the bottle screw where it connects to the chain plate. I don't believe welding wire down there is a better idea.

The intention of these pins is to stop the bottle screw from unscrewing itself. The good thing about the wire is that it passes from one cavity to the next so there is no way that the bottle screw can do more than a quarter of a turn because the wire goes tight. If the split pins (sorry I can't call them cotter pins) are a little small they don't achieve the primary objective - the bottle screw can turn past them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook