SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replace cotter pins with welding rod
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Replace cotter pins with welding rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
...The intention of these pins is to stop the bottle screw from unscrewing itself. The good thing about the wire is that it passes from one cavity to the next so there is no way that the bottle screw can do more than a quarter of a turn because the wire goes tight. If the split pins (sorry I can't call them cotter pins) are a little small they don't achieve the primary objective - the bottle screw can turn past them.
Very good point, and it's a concern with my particular turnbuckles. The typical open turnbuckle has that crossbar at the midpoint, which allows the wire to prevent rotation of the turnbuckle:

But I have the Catalina OEM turnbuckles, which are an unplated bronze inner turnbuckle with no crossbar. I like them because I don't need rigging tape - the SS cover accomplishes that nicely. But without the crossbar, I'd be afraid that a tightly bent wire would allow the turnbuckle to rotate:

So unless I replace my turnbuckles someday, I think I need to stick with the split pins that are used currently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook