SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Dave, It seems to me you are being somewhat unfair. JE (irritating grin or no irritating grin) is on record in this very thread as saying his primary nav aid is GPS and as you have yourself noted he seems to be using a computer from time to time. I daresay the old luddite probably has a mobile phone, has updated from oil to electricity for his lights and rumour has it the hamster has gone and replaced by one of them new fangled infernal combustion thingys.
Nah, I'm a Luddite, through and through... I rate my Sailomat windvane as the best money I will ever spend on my boat, after all...

Sometimes I wonder how I've managed to fit all this crap tethered to 12V into my little 30-footer, however...

Simrad 32 plotter at nav station
Simrad 44 plotter / 4 KW radar in cockpit
(3) Garmin 48 handheld GPS (one lives in ditch bag)
Furuno NX 300 NAVTEX
Icom 802 SSB
Pactor III modem
Standard GX 2150 VHF w/ AIS
C.A.R.D. radar detector
Iridium satphone
ACR 406 EPIRB
Raymarine 6002 tillerpilot /w spare control head and (2) spare rams
(2) Standard 406 Handleld VHF, plus one other that lives in ditch bag
Fog-Mate signal horn system

However, I don't use a computer for navigation, nor have an iPad (yet), so that places me light-years behind the masses today... (annoying grin)

Apologies for the (grins), but I starting posting to the old CW forum well before we had Smiley Icons... Old habits die hard with us Luddites, you know... :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (07-11-2013)