SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sailing j-22 to a Hobie wave
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013

domromer is on a distinguished road
Re: New sailing j-22 to a Hobie wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
No disrepect meant here, but I gotta take exception to this. Hobies ARE real boats. They are more challenging to sail than the average monohull boat and require some extra skill set developement to sail efficiently. Once these skills are learned the boat is like any other boat, handling it comes naturally.

Besides being a blast to sail, Hobies are excellent teaching platforms. Take the H16 - While every H16 is identical, these boats are extremely adjustable. outhaul, downhaul, batten tension, jib tension, traveler, and mast rake all come into the tuning picture when setting the boat up for current conditions. Adding a full set of telltales lets student sailors see the effects of every adjustment and every input. Along with having alot of fun students who learn on Hobies, because they are more challenging, can step onto any monohull and sail it.

And again, no disrepect but I also disagree with these boats being awfull to sail upwind. In the right hands Hobies go to wind without issue. In many cases we can out point monohulls depending on conditions. And regardless, we will always beat them around the cans.
This response sorta leads into my next question. Beyond just enjoying myself on the water. I do have a goal/dream of getting a boat large enough to go on overnight trips with my wife and explore the gulf. With my budget it going to have to be a monohull. Can I continue using the wave and become a better sailor and have the skills to sail a larger monohull down the road, or should I be sailing more monohual dinghys? I really enjoy sailing the wave as it's so comfortable and easy to sail. But I also want to be moving in the right direction for my eventual goal.

I suppose in the winter I'll be sailing dinghys anyways as the wet ride of the cat won't be that much fun when the water is in the 50s. I just don't want to forget how to use a Jib entirely! Basically is it as easy jump from sailing a cat to a monohual? Do the skills crossover?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook