View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: Transport of boat over land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunthrie View Post
Having seen just a few episodes of "Shipping Wars" there is no way I would ever hire just anybody to move a boat... Seems like licensed, insured and bonded professionals would be worth the extra cost. Were I in your position I would be excitedly planning a sea voyage, spending that money on provisions and maybe hiring 1-2 competent crew from the local yacht club if you can't talk a couple friends into doing it for food and booze.
While it is true that every carrier in the USA must have both license from the ICC and be insured for both liability and cargo damage, having the license and insurance is not all that is needed. In order to transport a sailboat properly the trailer and truck must be properly equipped. There are several very good carriers who specialize in transporting yachts and a Google search will show you a good list of those in your area.

If a quote is given it must be all inclusive unless the owner is willing to pay the loading and unloading as well as any commissioning and decommissioning fees separately. I would not hire just anyone to transport a cargo for me, I would want to know that the company was one with a good reputation and had a good safety record. You can check out a company's safety record here, by entering in the ICC MC number or the name.

SAFER Web - Company Snapshot

To view the company's information you select the name or the ICC MC number or USDOT number and enter the information into the blank, then select the carrier from a list. Once you have identified the proper carrier you can see records of all the crashes, inspections and their insurance data, as well as number of power units owned and the number of drivers employed. I hope this will help anyone who is looking for transportation.
c. breeze (01-21-2014)