SailNet Community - View Single Post - 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Thanks for the reviewed thoughts on the engine. I'll take it as read. Though I am stuffed if I know why anyone would spend $20,000 (remember its in NZ so very expensive) on a new engine but skimp on other things like the FG skinning. UNLESS the owner thought the FG and underlying hull was in good condition. I.e. if he was going a quick fix 'on the cheap' he wouldnt have put in a brand new donk.
FG skinning is not necessarily 'a quick fix on the cheap' (it's neither quick nor cheap) - it's simply a more economical solution than having to replace all the planking on the entire boat which, on a boat like Nina, would make a $20,000 engine look like spare change. In many cases, even knowing it's a one-way street heading down-hill, it's the only way to ensure the boat stays around for just a little bit longer - years? decades? who knows? All things considered, it does seem that they all thought the FG and underlying hull was in good condition otherwise surely they would not have left in the first place.

I still think that if the sheath failed catastrophically, there'd be wreckage on the surface... but that doesn't mean to say some localised unseen and unreachable failure didn't send the yacht to the bottom quickly and in one piece...