Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
From the article I see two problems here...
1) Both knew forecasts called for a serious storm to move across Virginia, Maryland and the north-central Atlantic by late Tuesday, but every weather model said waves would top out at 4 to 6 feet — bumpy, but manageable
2) "Even my father has said, 'Why go out in those conditions? Why not wait a few days?'" recalled Southward.
"As professionals, our job is to deliver the vessel as quickly and safely as possible," Schoenberger said.
Regarding #1, if forecast calls for a serious storm, watch out because
a serious storm is just that serious. They can usually kick up gale force winds and god only knows how big the seas can get in the Atlantic. The weather models are not always accurate.
Regarding #2 I look at this..."As professionals, our job is to deliver the vessel as quickly and safely as possible," Schoenberger said.
I understand they have a job to do. If it needs to be quickly and safely as possible let it be just that. Safe as possible should not include having to chance it in stormy conditions. If it was me I would tell my client hey forecast is not so good, we are going to wait a couple days to make sure we can get your vessel to you safe and sound. I don't see why the owner of the vessel would have a problem if professional captains recommend waiting a day or two.
This all said, glad the crew is alive and well. In the end that is what matters the most.
s/v Pirates Lady
"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."