SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013

olddog60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You can configure it any way you like. The only wrong answer is from those that insist they are right or belittle those that choose differently.

I was also taught to navigate in the military. If you at sitting at a desk or fixed position, often in a room barking orders to those getting the job done, north is up. If you are on the move, you put your compass on the map and keep north on the map pointing north, ie it is always oriented to the surrounding terrain.

It's not a question of whether you can do the spacial orientation, it's the bandwidth you are wasting on it, which could be used to move, shoot and communicate.

Personally, I set the aircraft display to course up as well, although, there was no such thing when I started flying.
I was an Arty guy for 10 years. North up for orentation and course up for travel. Now everything is done by Inertia and GPS. Move shoot and communicate.....guess you were Arty as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook