SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rewiring Mast. What Gauge?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Rewiring Mast. What Gauge?

The bare minimum size for the wire used under ABYC standards would be 16GA. This is as much about durability as voltage drop. With 16/4 you won't have any voltage drop issues with LED but if someone were to ever convert back to incandescent then it very likely would not meet the max 3% drop for nav lights. If these are LED USCG Cert fixtures then you won't be worried about anyone swapping bulbs.

I won't put 16GA in a spar for navigation lights. The weight of the wire is often loading the strands and mast wire can get beat up pretty well. I just spent a day a few weeks ago re-wiring a spar because small wire was used and the mast was incandescent. He had also lost the wind instrument and I found one of the small 18GA wires in the bundle had snapped where it was attached to the top of the spar.. I generally leave 16GA for non-critical stuff like stereo speaker wiring...

I would stick with your 14GA. If the wire is in a conduit, not swinging free, then 16GA could certainly work but I prefer 14 GA +.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook