SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

I don't know much about double enders but I have sailed one or two. Seems to me that you guys are mired in the theoretical. There are kernels of truth there but reality would provide some exceptions and once again prove that making broad generalizations about any type is often an error.

For the sake of argument can we agree that we are talking about boats with D/L's between 200 and 300? Fine. Within this range you will find boats Happy to sail to Hull speed and seldom faster, although we could argue about the "soft wall" that hull speed
represents. That soft wall is determined in the main by DWL and Cp with a given S/L.

It will be the same number for a transom sterned boat as a DE providing the rest of each boats proportions are similar. So where is the transom sterned boat superior off the wind?

Obviously if you have a DE with a really fine and pointy fanny you will have a clearly defined DWL. But if you have a DE like the V40 with the buttocks flattened, beam extended aft and LOA extent dropped down well below the sheer to further flatten the buttocks you have a very different animal compared to a boat like a Westsail 32. In fact it has been my experience that the V40 is very fast off the wind for a boat of it's numbers. It loves to be pushed hard off the wind and I have personally done well racing the V40 when there was long downwind legs.

Where I think you are correct is when you lower our range of D/L's down below 150 and you start getting into shapes that will readily surf. Not just the occasional shush down a wave, a V40 does that quite nicely but the ability to maintain a semi planing state. In that case a wide stern is certainly going to help.

But that's not what most of us think of as a "cruising boat". So, while I understand the theory behind your claim and your theory is correct, I don't think there is solid evidence to prove DE's are slower off the wind, providing we avoid the extremes of both types.

The great difficulty in this argument is trying to restrict ourselves to apples and apples.

Now I am going to go fishing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bobperry; 07-12-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook