Old 07-12-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I believe you've made a Double Clanger!

Unless the boat turns up with the crew we will never know anything much of the story.

I most strongly disagree and point you to the Bounty thread on this forum which was writ by each of us numbskull cruisers but could have been the guideline of the Coast Guard inquiry hearings. We covered, investigated and exposed every salient point of that disaster, except maybe a few that would couldn't get without direct questioning of witnesses.

Don't dismiss the power if the brains of those on this forum! Don't dismiss the power of the internet. Dont relegate us to lower beings just because you dont personally know us. Further don't pedestal the 'authorities' or those interests of the families etc who have an agenda. We forumers have no agenda except to exercise the mind, pass the time and chew the fat...

Mark
Mark,

I am certainly not dismissing the brain power of the group here, and how you could even imagine that I would be relegating us to lower beings? I am one of the lower beings in that case, and I tend to (like most people do ) think highly of myself and my own opinions. What I am saying is that we do not have all of the information. We would, in the event we were to do a proper investigation of this matter, need to send people out to interview in person those who were aboard the vessel Nina shortly before her departure. We would need to investigate the claim that some have made about her engine replacement, in which outright speculation was that somehow Captain Dyche put a different engine aboard her than the one shown in the photos. We would need to interview the meteorologists, to get a full story on the weather that day, and many other things.

Now if you would like to fund this investigation, perhaps you would care to pay me to go down and investigate it, I would contract my brother who was an investigator for a sheriff's department here in the states for many years, and if we were well paid, we would be able to get a lot closer to the truth. If no one is willing to pay others to do the investigation, then it will either remain as pure speculation, conjecture, and theory, because without doing all of the background work you just cannot have more than that, things have to be done right or you have 1000's of people just guessing at what happened.

I have not read the Bounty story on here, so I cannot comment on that, but it does not surprise me that many would say that the forum here did a good job. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here, all of us at times have some insight and working together we can accomplish much. What we cannot do seated here in front of our respective computers is go out on the docks where Nina was berthed and interview mechanics, yard workers, and others who were in physical contact with crew and vessel in the days before the vessel sailed out of port.

Now, we can come up with a lot of good theories, but we are a bit short of wreckage, debris, or other evidence that she even went down. I recall not long ago a jackass of a skipper who was sailing along without any radios or commo gear for something like three months while people looked high and low for him and the crew aboard the "missing" vessel. Then one day the goober sails into port and is surprised that people were looking for him, not that I am saying that is what happened here, but it would be better than the alternative. So, in the absence of debris, wreckage, or a survivor or seven to tell us what happened, indirect investigation answers nothing conclusively.

Mark