SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Done fishing. One beautiful Steelhead. Sent him on his way.

I like a good argument on yacht design so to keep this one going I'll take the other side and once again thumb my nose at the court of public opinion. If paid attention to that group the V40 would have had a full keel and I'd be a butcher today.

Look at today's fleet of wide transom boats. This general type sailing of the wind and approaching hull speed will in most cases begin to drag it's transom. The Passport 40 does. The Nordic 40 does and I'm pretty sure the Norseman 447 will too. But the same proportions on a double ender gives us a boat that can't drag it's transom. It has no transom. So the DE has the advantage in those conditions of adding the drag that comes from sucking the water around the edge of the immersed transom. The run of the DE will be clean.

When the V40 was new we regularly raced an early model MOTHER NATURE. It was a very well equipped boat but short on all the "necessities'" o what people think you need t go cruising, i.e. it was a relatively light V40. We raced PHRF against a varied fleet of 40+'ers including Cal 40's and IOR two tonner sized boats, all with transoms. Upwind against those boats was a challenge due to several things and probably the biggest thing being the broad flare to the V40's bow. It was not happy being punched into a steep chop upwind. But of the wind we sailed boat for boat and often faster than some of those other boats. My friend John's new Standfast 40 was easy to beat off the wind. And in a breeze we could give a Cal 40 fits. Against a Luders 44 Navy yawl it wasn't even a contest. It was a horizon job. Against a couple of custom Ray Richards 40' alu boats it was almost embarrassing.

Maybe we should adjourn the court now so both sides can reassess their positions.

For the record, I am a huge Uffa Fox fan and I keep his book handy at all times. I was a kid in Australia when Uffa started sailing with the Prince. I remember it well. I did a pen and ink drawing of Uffa and the Prince sailing and I entered it in a newspaper contest. I called it "Sailing with the Priince". I did not win but my drawing did get published.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 07-12-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook