SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Bob,
I think that you and I are pretty much in agreement on the reality of the situation vs the perception that is out there.

Its always been clear to me that the Valiant 40 had a more powerful stern than most of the cruising and racing boats that were out there at the time, and a sail plan which was also on the large size for a cruising boat of that era.

And my sense is that in its day the V-40 were a real revelation speed wise. They are still fast for a boat of their general displacement. (To me, there is a lot to be said for the more simply equipped original versions of the Valiant 40-1 and 40-2, which I suspect were lighter boats than the more recent heavily dolled up, S.S. be-blinged versions.)

I also agree that unless the boat is below a L/D of 180 or so, its hard to talk about significant speed gains related to having a transom, and there its only about shifting the CB aft a little and having enough bearing aft to prevent squatting, which I respectfully suggest would make it hard to avoid in an awkwardly shaped double end, and which in my mind the use of a double end that broad would be more of a styling effort rather than a compelling pragmatic reason to have a double end.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook