SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
post #137 of Old 07-12-2013
JonEisberg

Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
Lot's of Monday morning quarterbacking going on in this thread regarding the rescue of the crew of this boat. As I sit here a week after two highly experienced airline captains managed to reach the ground before they reached the airport, driving their jumbo jet into the ground at SFO, I can only think what most other pilots are thinking about that situation - There but for the grace of God go I.

I would imagine that everyone here has been caught out, so to speak, and gotten themselves into situations they wish they hadn't. Certainly most of us have been in situations we are glad we didn't have to explain ourselves for later. We either pulled if off or got away with it depending on your POV. I would give the delivery captains some slack here. Too easy to say shoulda coulda.
Well, that's very gentlemanly and generous of you, but I would simply suggest you may be seriously underestimating the sheer stupidity of taking a boat best suited for the ICW out around Hatteras - a far LONGER route than inside, along one of the deadliest lee shores in the entire North Atlantic - in the dead of winter, just as the most powerful winter storm of the year is drawing a bead on the region, while hoping one of of 3 most treacherous and changeable inlets on the entire East coast might represent a reasonable bail-out option...

Sorry, I've done some pretty stupid things with boats over the years, but I have little problem saying "coulda shoulda" in this case... :-)
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome