SailNet Community - View Single Post - Great White spotted near Key West
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Re: Great White spotted near Key West

Back in '75 mom and I were on our way to Dauphin Island for some rafting in the waves and blue water at the beach (the water is muddy and calm at home on MS Gulf Coast). We'd occasionally get a bump on the leg, figured it was just us kids kicking around (lotta feet under the raft - big green military surplus raft), or maybe one of the adults trying to mess with us. First trip of the year in '75 we were on the bridge and a fellow had pulled in a baby shark. I still remember clear as anything. My mom remarked, "Where there are babies, there's a momma." It was a perfect little great white. No mistaking it. Anyway, we went on and had our fun. The reason I remember it so well is because later that same summer we saw "Jaws" and all those memories were suddenly amplified. I mean, blues and hammerheads, bulls we were familiar with from fishing rodeos, but a great white? Nah. Not there! Well, our rafting trips to Dauphin Island beach ended abruptly. People are always amazed at sightings. "They're not supposed to be there." Did anyone tell THEM that?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook