SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

SMCM Governor's Cup

7K views 66 replies 9 participants last post by  PalmettoSailor 
#1 · (Edited)
2013 Registration is Open.

They are not issuing the tracker units this year but are lowering the registration fee so you can buy an App on your smart phone to allow fleet tracking. I'm guessing that's the end of the fleet tracking as I expect many boats won't bother to buy a $10 App that will drain their cell phone or require ships power to keep it charged.

Otherwise the format seems the same as the past couple of years.

#2 ·
Ah...Don't rule that out. I think a lot of skippers will pay for the app in order to gain intelligence on their competitors.

I'm looking to enter my boat this year, and I'll be buying the app if I do.
I have a 12v socket near the cockpit, so keeping my phone charged while I race, is not a big deal.

Hell, I'll be powering a netbook-chartplotter.

#3 ·
Ah...Don't rule that out. I think a lot of skippers will pay for the app in order to gain intelligence on their competitors.

I'm looking to enter my boat this year, and I'll be buying the app if I do.
I have a 12v socket near the cockpit, so keeping my phone charged while I race, is not a big deal.

Hell, I'll be powering a netbook-chartplotter.
Yep, its likely guys like you and me would want to spring for the App, but I doubt the better racers are gonna' let guys like us track them if they don't have to.

Last years tracking was a debacle anyway - the server went down for scheduled maintenance for about 6 hours during the night.

I hope I'll be able to do the race this year, but I've had a little medical issue and don't know if I'll be recovered well enough to take it on.

#4 ·
Well that sucks. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

I dunno, don't you think even the fast skippers will want to keep tabs on each other? Plus, there's the ego factor of having your friends and family watch you pull out in front.

Even though my crew and I "suck out loud", I'll be advertising my failure for all to see. :laugher

#5 ·
There is one boat in particular that I really would like to know where is going. The skipper has forgotten more about sailing than I'll ever know and he's old school. I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing him on the tracker even if I spring for the App. The two times I've done this race on my boat, he's kicked his fleets ass, once going west and once going east. My analysis had me do exactly the opposite both years. I either need to follow him, or figure out what I think is the best course of action and do the opposite. lol

There are a couple of other boats in Crusing class and NS class it would be nice to keep tabs on and some of them may bother with the tracker, but I sure liked it better when it was universal -- and they didn't take it down for the most critical period, like last year.

#6 ·
These North/South bay races are frustrating. I'm routinely told by veterans that 95% of the time, there is no value in staying on the western shore, then after the race, I find out that these same veterans went there.

When I ask what their rationale was, they simply say that "this time", conditions warranted it.

Honestly though, there seems to be little value in following the Western shore most of the time, because it just has you driving extra miles to follow the curve.

The weather seems...different this year. Mild temps for much deeper into June, sustained Easterly breezes (which is very rare), and powerful Northerlies for the Miles River Race and DtB. It'll be interesting to see what conditions present themselves for Gov. Cup, Solomons Invitational, Oxford and Screwpile.

#7 ·
I'm holding out on this one. Might do it, might not. It's not a particularly 'fun' race on a small boat. There are rumors that the MC38 will be ready, but that might be a pipe dream.

Tracker makes no difference to me. I do better when I don't know what everyone else is doing. Just sail south fast, and make a right. If it's a run, big boats beware...

#8 ·
Well the cards are stacking up against us making Gov Cup this year. Just found out the boat a couple of slips over got a direct lightning strike on Friday afternoon/evening. Apparently the strike damaged boats up and down the dock including Palmetto Moon.

We were the closest boat and we found today our air conditioner, autopilot and wind instruments are toast. I at first thought everything was going to be fine as all the lights checked fine, but as we continued testing our electrical equipment we started finding problems.

I guess I'll be talking to the insurance company on Monday.

#10 ·
Well the cards are stacking up against us making Gov Cup this year. Just found out the boat a couple of slips over got a direct lightning strike on Friday afternoon/evening. Apparently the strike damaged boats up and down the dock including Palmetto Moon.

We were the closest boat and we found today our air conditioner, autopilot and wind instruments are toast. I at first thought everything was going to be fine as all the lights checked fine, but as we continued testing our electrical equipment we started finding problems.

I guess I'll be talking to the insurance company on Monday.
Sorry to hear that. We got side struck last year moored in front of Jabins on Back Creek. It took a week for all the problems to really surface. We lost Yanmar panel, ploltter, wind and autopilot, some lights, Ram mic. and more.

Check all your pumps as well. Alternator, Do you have a plotter? radar? Which insurance do you have? Do you have a good marine electrician? Feel frfee to PM if you need a name or a surveyor to work with to be assigned for your claim.

Dave

#13 ·
Agreed. I'm hoping its just an off year and they'll be back next year. I haven't decided weather or not I want to race Audrey down there again. Gov Cup always seems to be a PITA for small light boats. I guess I'll wait until the extended forecast to come out first before writing the check. Always a crap shoot.

#16 ·
We'll be doing the race this year. My understanding is that the tracker is required. Each skipper has a choice to get the Kattack unit or get the tracker app for thier own phone. They are also bringing back the after-race-dinner.

Anyone have a cruising spinnaker / Asym they can loan me?

#19 ·
Well if you guys are gonna do it, I'll just have to HTFU and find a way to make it happen for Palmetto Moon also.

Re: the tracker units, reading the SI's it looks like you are correct that we have to buy the App and use it during the race. Based on what they posted on Facebook when I griped about the tracker situation it sounded like Kattack had changed their business and just flat didn't have the units anymore. The sailing instructions say trackers "as supplied" are required. I suppose lowering the entry fee and requiring us to buy an App equates to "supplying" the tracker.

#17 ·
Maybe if PHRF Chesapeake had its act together and issued certificates on time people would be more inclined to participate. Still waiting for my certificate (53499) despite multiple contacts! I'll be crewing on another boat.
Anyone from PHRF Chesapeake listening?

#20 ·
hmmm :mad: not happy about that...

GPS Tracking: GPS tracking units as supplied by the racing authority are required to be on board and activated. As per RRS 41 c) use and monitoring of the Kattack GPS tracking units by competitors while racing the 2013 Governor's Cup is approved.

Out of pocket expense does not mean "as supplied by the RA". I still believe you can compete w/o using the tracker, but would send an email to confirm.

#21 ·
Gettin' closer to havin' a crew, so we may be on the starting line yet!:)

Gratuitous rant follows:

Just took a look at details on the Racers dinner. Safe to say you won't find the Skipper of Palmetto Moon there, if we are able to finish this race.

$55 a head? For BBQ and Fried Chicken? Seriously? Does everyone get a handle of Rum on the way in or what?:puke

And $180 for for the barely furnished townhouse you are only allowed 4 people in? Won't be making that mistake again this year.:eek:

I guess I'm feelin' the squeeze these days, cause these prices seem ludicrous to me.:(

End rant mode:

#22 ·
I have been informed that St. Mary's has a different president, and this may play into these changes. Not sure.

First, my understanding is that there will still be other food available other than the $55/head dinner.

Second, $180/4 = $45 per head. It's not great, but not terrible either. If temperatures moderate, you could sleep on your boat.

I have a friendly local who's putting me up for the night, so I'm not paying any of these expenses.

#23 ·
The $180 for a house isn't bad. It's convenient and easy to plan. The $55 for dinner is high, unless they're going back to the fancy food they used to have. The breakfast at the church is worth the price. And it's for a good cause.

The townhouses you can cook in, so you could eat there if you have a lot of crew. They also have dorm rooms which I think aren't as nice for $90/pair. It's the only game in town though, they don't gouge you too much.

My complaint is that it's spread out too much. Even the main tent there was barely anyone there after racing. Lots of people still sleeping, and the steel drums just needed to stop. Honestly, I have more fun during the raft up on the race boats than on shore. For smaller regattas, they cram everyone into a tent or local area so it's easier to find your friends and meet people. ARW and Screwpile have great parties, SBRW is the same. One central location for all racers. Helps the party mood.

#24 · (Edited)
The $180 for a house isn't bad. It's convenient and easy to plan. The $55 for dinner is high, unless they're going back to the fancy food they used to have. The breakfast at the church is worth the price. And it's for a good cause.

The townhouses you can cook in, so you could eat there if you have a lot of crew. They also have dorm rooms which I think aren't as nice for $90/pair. It's the only game in town though, they don't gouge you too much.

My complaint is that it's spread out too much. Even the main tent there was barely anyone there after racing. Lots of people still sleeping, and the steel drums just needed to stop. Honestly, I have more fun during the raft up on the race boats than on shore. For smaller regattas, they cram everyone into a tent or local area so it's easier to find your friends and meet people. ARW and Screwpile have great parties, SBRW is the same. One central location for all racers. Helps the party mood.
I paid for a townhouse the first year I did Gov Cup and stand by my assertion they kinda suck. There wasn't even a decent place to sit on the lower level and the bedrooms weren't much. I'd feel it were a better deal if they allowed you to offer space to crash to your whole crew. An Aerobed on the floor would be better than the beds that are there.

Also, on the lines of your its too spread out complaint, it sux having 4 of your crew in one place, and 1 or 2 more somewhere else, if the crew wants to get a cool nights sleep before heading home on the delivery.

Re: the steel drums I think you've identified a primary reason no one is under/around the tent.

I'm still a few bodies short of what I'd like though I have a bare minimum so I haven't registered yet, but if we do race we'll probably do like last year and head over to Point Lookout marina for some AC to run the AC and sleep on the boat.

#25 · (Edited)
We're not racing this year. My crew fell apart - one with a blown shoulder, one recovering from multiple back surgeries, another healing from knee replacement. I had the former skipper of a Naval Academy Annapolis-Bermuda winner signed up, but he bought a boat and will be moving it that weekend. My foredeck guy is on business travel that week and my tactician isn't answering email or voicemail. So it's me, Vicky, and one of our drivers. I can't do Gov Cup with 3 on a 38' PHRF B boat. I'm really bummed since we've done it the last 5 years and had been improving.

We hadn't even planned to go ashore this year - just drop off crew and get out. The shuttle last year was abysmal - it took forever to get ashore and as long to get back out. And the food that's on my boat is better that what they have in the 3 trailers parked in the road.

I liked the tracker, it really helped us do better knowing what everyone else was doing. I call it "training". They kept us from heading off into the hinterlands with a "better idea". I didn't like when service went down - I would really have liked to identify the gray sailed boat with no running lights that came out of the darkness and almost caused us to do an emergency tack. Would have protested him if I could see a name or sail number or get the data from the tracker.

BTW - The photo for my avatar was taken at the start of last year's race. Love that picture.

Mark :(

#31 ·
We're not racing this year. My crew fell apart -

I liked the tracker, it really helped us do better knowing what everyone else was doing. I call it "training". They kept us from heading off into the hinterlands with a "better idea". I didn't like when service went down - I would really have liked to identify the gray sailed boat with no running lights that came out of the darkness and almost caused us to do an emergency tack. Would have protested him if I could see a name or sail number or get the data from the tracker.

BTW - The photo for my avatar was taken at the start of last year's race. Love that picture.

Mark :(
Sorry to hear you won't make it this year. I was wondering where you were. Anyway I share your problems with crew. I'll only have one or possibly two returning crew. I have picked up a couple of knowledgeable cruising sailors so I currently have 4 or maybe 5, but I hope to pick up one or two more.

I also share your frustration with the tacker server going down for "planned maintenance" in the midst of an overnight race. Last year, I had nothing but bad ideas and when I look at the photoboat shots realize our sail trim was for crap, so we were slow from the start and I'm not sure we got any better. I was all into technology last year trying to anticipate the tides and winds and favoring this side or that. This year my plan is to forget all that crap and make sure the boat is pointed south and the sails aren't overtrimmed into a wrinkled mess. If the tracker is up I'll keep and eye on the boats that kicked my butt last year and try to keep up.

#27 ·
We're signed up. I'm happy that they are doing the dinner again this year. Yeah, it's $55per head, but in years past, the food was pretty good, and my crew is likely to get their $55 out of the open bar alone.

I've suggested to the race committee that they consider reversing the race course: starting in St. Mary's and finishing in Annapolis. They could have a send off party the night before the race in St. Mary's, and then have a real throw-down in Annapolis after the race. Having the race finish in Annapolis would allow the Governor to participate, allow "civilians" to get involved, and allow for friends and family to particiapte. Seems to me that necessary exposure is in Annapolis, not in sleepy little St. Mary's.

#28 ·
We're signed up. I'm happy that they are doing the dinner again this year. Yeah, it's $55per head, but in years past, the food was pretty good, and my crew is likely to get their $55 out of the open bar alone.

I've suggested to the race committee that they consider reversing the race course: starting in St. Mary's and finishing in Annapolis. They could have a send off party the night before the race in St. Mary's, and then have a real throw-down in Annapolis after the race. Having the race finish in Annapolis would allow the Governor to participate, allow "civilians" to get involved, and allow for friends and family to particiapte. Seems to me that necessary exposure is in Annapolis, not in sleepy little St. Mary's.
Hmmmmm. There is merit to this idea. People may frown on tampering too much with tradition, however. Another idea would be for them to host another race, starting from St. Mary's or to alternate directions each year.

Hey, I didn't know that $55 included an open bar! :D

#29 ·
I've suggested to the race committee that they consider reversing the race course: starting in St. Mary's and finishing in Annapolis.
That's an interesting idea, I like it. I'd do it. But the committee would have to really build it up - not something that a small private college does routinely. Of course, Annapolis has an endless series of races and this one could be viewed as "just another race". But having a blowout party in one of my favorite places has it's merit. :)

Annapolis is interesting - I can have a boat designed, sails made, rigging done, but buy boat supplies downtown? Nah. Ice - sure, go to the ice cream store and get in line. And then there is the worst marina on the Bay, centrally located at City Dock. Annapolis is a fun place to visit, but cruising amenities are short anywhere other than Eastport. Odd.

#34 ·
It would be hard to do the reverse course. It's easy north to south b/c when you're finishing the fleet is usually spread out a little bit. To pull off a start in a cramped river with over 100 boats in horeshoe bend is going to be a madhouse. Imagine 30 boats motoring up to the startline while another 50 boats are sailing out rolling starts.

Hell in a handbasket. I love the idea, but logistics would shoot itself in its foot.

#35 ·
Agree that the start line could not be right off St. Marys. Would have to do the start out in the Potomac, just as the current start line is not in Annapolis proper, but way out past the mouth of the Severn R.

#38 ·
Yeah, I'll worry about the financial constraints after this race. The past 12 months have been pretty ****ty for my wife and I, but I think we are finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel and hoping its not a train. Part of the turnaround is me physically being up to this and the way I more or less fell into a decent crew.

I have only one returning crew and my wife is not sailing with us this year, but despite that, I think I have rounded up the best crew I've had yet, including a couple of Sailnetters, one that has done the race 5 times as skipper who'll be our tactician and a husband/wife team that are more cruisers but want overnight experience since they plan some longer voyages in the near future. I won't out them unless they choose to be outed.:laugher

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.