SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel
Thread: Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Full Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
I've owned two full keel older designs and one is a much better sailer in light air. The former had a SA/D of around 15, the later, nearly 18. Night and day in light air.

Another thing I learned from Bob, "Weight is the enemy". That one I use to advantage to get the most out of my full keeler in light air(I overloaded my first boat which made it even less of a light air boat).

Thanks Bob for these tips over the years, and you give your design experience in refreshingly few words, a real plus on the these forums.
I think that there can be big differences in the way that boats with full keels actually sail. Some of these differences can be explained at a macro level in terms of the relative stability, sail area and sail plan efficiency, and displacements of two boats, which just happen to have full keels. On a finer level, some differences can be explained in the way that the boat is modeled (shaped).

But some the differences may occur in the way that the term full keel is defined these days.

To me, this is a full keel:

This is not: It is a boat with a cut away forefoot and raked rudder post with substantially reduced wetted surface as compared to a full keel. It offers a little better performance but does not track as well as a full keel.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook