Thread: Our New Boat
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: Our New Boat

I will try to answer your questions.

How much is Catalina working with you on upgrading these items. Is it a case where they have upgrades already priced out - say $X for a larger winch, a standard credit if you want to upgrade, or "this is what we build if you want something different change it out after commissioning"?
Yes and No. Gerry has been very receptive to me over the years on my changes. It is just a matter of money. He will give you a credit, just might not be what you expect. We are still in most discussions about this. I am not happy camper on some things we have discussed. There has been a few flip flops and price gouging on Catalina's part over what JSI (they supply the sails, cushions and dodger/Bimini). Worse case , I will order the boat without and have it done elsewhere. I have quotes from other suppliers.

We've been kicking around the idea of the Seldon/Doyle gennaker setup as an upgrade for our boat. What are your thoughts on the gennaker vs. the asym?

Still researching this. I thought I wanted a asym on it's own roller but found out it doesn't work well. I don't want another asym in a ATN sock for two reasons; size it takes up to store it and the plastic bottom part of the ATN sock chews up the jib head tack

How does your design differ from Catalina's? Dodger/Bimini

JSI/Catalina current design sucks to put it mildly. JSI chief dodger engineer even admitted it to me.

We used Ultraleather Brisa in a celery color below, with a firm cushion and added lumbar support and they've been a BIG improvement over the stock cushions. I'm curious what upgrades/changes you're making to the interior.

We are doing the same except the color.. We like the Golden Ultra leather. The backs to all the settees will be double rolled also.

What is it about the stock wiring that you feel isn't up to par?

No echo charger for the starting battery than switch to the house banks for starters. Has to be done manually right now.

Will the Honda be a permanant installation and exhaust through the transom?

That is the plan

Galley. Are you adding additional overhead lighting in the galley? I think most boats are lacking when it comes to interior lighting.

Not necessary in this boat. One for the good guys.

Will Catalina not swap out Raymarine for Simrad? Have you given any thought a plotters at each helm for redundancy? How about a display down below at the chart table?

No in a nut shell. I could order the boat without electronics but the cost becomes very expensive very fast. I thought about plotters at each helm but $$ and I don't like the look, plus when cruising I cannot see them from the cockpit settee. My chartplotter I will be able to swivel 360 degrees. Display down below will be my IPAD. No need to buy another one with the current bluetooth integration.

I'm adding an LED light under the dodger to make it easier to fiddle with the lock when boarding at night along with a key fob remote that kicks on the cockpit lights when you're coming up in the dinghy at night the same way the remote for you car can kick on the interior lights.

Nice ideas.

I thought brian had one big 14' grill all the way across the transom He might!

Anyone else wants to ask questions please do. Love to hear thoughts from other sailors.
PS Not sure this post is coming out right,, My responses are suppose to be red.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 07-12-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook