SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Thing I don't understand is why go so big? It seems every time I hear about "how easy it is to handle the boats" it is about how a couple has gone around the world in one, but why? What do you need all that room for? Sure if you have several children with you all the time and visitors and what not, but it is always a picture of an old couple, or an old guy and a younger woman. Of course I don't understand the need for a big house either. I outgrew the need to impress others, and guess I am not trying to make up for other short comings! :-)

I just don't see much to be gained by going over 40 foot for a couple.

Now if money were no object and I had a full time crew then sure, but for just a couple it does not look fun.
5 or 6 years ago, CRUISING WORLD went through a spell where it seemed as if almost every cover story, or their newly-minted "Yacht Style" section, featured the latest and greatest "Globe-Girdling" Ultimate Cruising Yacht... The stories behind the creation of these boats were always deeply personal, and portraying the yacht as the ultimate reflection and expression of the owner's experience, and desires/plans for the future...

In hindsight, however, many of these boats turn out to be far more about the PROJECT itself, than what will actually be done with it after its completion... Like virtually every new 200' megayacht launched today, within a year it will show up in the Brokerage Section of the magazines that so breathlessly trumpeted its launch only months before, while the owner embarks on the creation of a newer, far more impressive 250-footer...

A few of the boats I remember from that time, all featured in CW Cover or lead Feature stories:

This was FAIRWEATHER, the magnificent S&S Seguin 52 from Lyman-Morse that I once had the honor of taking around Hatteras one winter on a delivery south...

I suspect I sailed her almost as much as the owner himself ever did, she was rather quickly listed for sale for a few years before finally changing hands during the past year...

Then, there was the story of "The Mighty Mights", a couple who selected a Globe-Girdling Hallberg-Rassy 62 as their first boat... It's been sitting on the hard in Jabin's in Annapolis for quite some time, now...

Then there's a magnificent Kanter 62, one of her more memorable features was the big-screen Plasma TV that stowed away inside a bulkhead by virtue of a cleverly-arranged hydraulic mechanism... That's the main thing I remember about that boat, which you can now see on Yachtworld...

Finally, there's NEW MORNING, another 54-foot Lyman-Morse "circumnavigator", designed to be "comfortable to 50 degrees N or S of the equator", featured just a few years ago...

Up and At 'Em | Cruising World

She, too, is already for sale...

Now, of course, there could be any number of compelling reasons why any of these owners' plans may have changed - financial reversals since the recession, illness, whatever... But I've had more than one client over the years, whose primary interest in boat ownership seemed to be always focused on 'The Next One', or 'The Ultimate Boat' where they were going to get everything right, and yet... once the project was finished, they really didn't know what to do with the damn thing... Well, beyond having me take it to places for them to fly into and sit on, for awhile...:-)

One of the primary reasons I so love cruising in Maine, is for the boats you see up there... Boats like the one below, that may have been sailed by the same owner for decades, or perhaps passed down from one generation to the next in the same family... I encountered a couple in Nova Scotia once who were celebrating their 40th summer of sailing their Concordia yawl... Such a boat is pitifully cramped and tiny below, hopelessly 'outmoded' by modern standards, of course... but she still sails like a witch, and there will be few boats in any harbor more beautiful...

Thinking back, I'd have to rate that pair as very likely the most contented boat owners I have ever met...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-12-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook