SailNet Community - View Single Post - 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
...I most strongly disagree and point you to the Bounty thread on this forum which was writ by each of us numbskull cruisers but could have been the guideline of the Coast Guard inquiry hearings. We covered, investigated and exposed every salient point of that disaster...
While I enjoyed the Bounty thread and learned a great deal from the what-if speculation, to characterize it as "investigation" is a real overreach. Most of it was speculation. Some of it was commentary on facts brought out by others who were doing the real investigation.

I'm not going to reread the thread to confirm this, but I cannot recall any actual investigation done by Sailnetters. Aside from the occasional contributions from naval architects and delivery captains who had actually been aboard the boat, the vast majority of us lacked the first-hand observation and/or the qualifications to make any true investigative judgements on the Bounty case. Virtually all of it was reaction to news reports, which we all know can be unbalanced or flat-out inaccurate. There was no formal "coverage" or "exposť" of facts done by Sailnet - that was done by reporters who went to the scene, the team that held the hearings, and the film crews that broadcast the hearings. Sailnet members, by and large, merely provided commentary on the facts that others were uncovering (and that some - including I - were making up through their speculation).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)