SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Re: Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverchick71 View Post
Just found this thread...we are in the process of buying our first sailboat. We're pretty much in the novice realm. Have done some day sailing on OPB's. I love to SUP and Sausalito has some awesome little areas to SUP. Any around the estuary and/or delta?
I don't know anything about the delta. However, California Canoe & Kayak, located in Jack London Square, rents SUPs. And, on nice days, there are quite a few folks SUP'ing around the Estuary. Also, Oakland has just begun work to connect the estuary to Lake Merritt.

They just opened up the channel

as well as announcing the Estuary Waterfront Project.

While both projects will take time to complete, these changes will really add to exploring via SUP, canoes, kayaks, etcetera. Or, otherwise put, very kewl stuff ahead.

In the meantime, most of your exploring would be in the estuary proper. And, depending upon tides/winds, you could even paddle down to San Leandro bay, where there are lots of aquatic life (i.e., sea lions, bat rays, and even a stray dolphin, etc.). However, that is a very long paddle. As in several miles.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook