post #4615 of Old 07-13-2013
Renato
tato@fotocontato

Send a message via Skype™ to Renato
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hello ImASonOfaSailor,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
I dont understand Monohull thinking, Monohulls are very nice to look at traditional sailing, slow sailing contained to a cockpit or the lifeline! Once it starts healing Yeahh your having fun going slow Sideways healed over with a trick to get inside if you need a drink!
During long journeys in monohulls I found that after a while I was tired of
  • getting in and out of a steep and deep companionway
  • going around the boat to attend cable jams or reef sails
  • fix things in the galley while underway

I'd try to avoid this "design features" in my chosen boat

Quote:
A catamaran is not hard to sail at all i dont know why people say this! I use to sail monos now i am a catamaran lover! I can get places quicker, i do not need whitecaps to have a fast sail! When the winds pick up i can go faster and safe and drink and eat in 25 plus winds! you can always find a used boat yes buying new is alot of dollar but if you have it i would buy a Catana
[disclaimer]I am yet to face rough weather aboard a large catamaran[/disclaimer]
As far as I've seem I cannot agree more, they are not difficult to sail. You'll loose some helm feedback and will have to adapt yourself to this side effect.

Quote:
The Outremer is another awesome boat i prefer Dagger boards the boat points better and you can pull them up!
The outremer also has daggerboards, but I think that they've changed a little bit the original concept (Gerard Danson's design). The 5X, showed in the video you posted, features a lot of "extras" and I just think that electricity and salt water doesn't go along very well. I'd try to keep them to a minimum for a cruiser boat. But 220+ for a 10 years old 45' with such a spartan interior is a LOT of money IMHO. Anyway I'll keep them in sight should an opportunity arises.

Thanks for sharing your opinion
Renato

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome