SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel
Thread: Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Full Keel

"Overweight tanks"?

I agree with you and I chuckle when I think back to 1974 when a noted yacht designer writing an article in YACHTING wrote that the Valiant was "too light to be considered a serious offshore boat".

Early this year (stop me if I told you this already) we raced my buddie's Baba 35, pilot house model, in the Race Your House race in Seattle. It's a race for only liveaboards. It was a very varied fleet with Catalinas, Hallberg Rassy's Ingrids, Cape George cutters and other cruising type boats. We had a good breeze with gusts up over 20 knots at times. We got second in class and sailed boat for boat upwind and down with many fin keel boats and did manage to beat a lot of them boat for boat. It was a testimony to what a good, full keel boat could do. We did not point as well as the fin keelers but we only gave up about 4 degrees of AWA to them. It was a kick in the ass to watch the faces of the competitors as we hung in there with them. "What are yoiu doing here?"

I try not to generalize about boat types. Some of my very best designs are the Tashiba series 31, 36 and 40 full keel boats. They can surprise you with their performance. The tall rig Baba/ Tashiba 40 AIRLOOM is a regular race winner on Puget Sound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook