SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Out,

Some of the beamier cruise boats may be folks liking that look. OR thinking they they can do this same type of sailing per say with a retired couple sailing it across the ocean! When in reality, said retired couple probably can not even get said boat design to 1/2 or 3/4 throttle and handle the boat! So reality is, a slightly more moderate boat hull design would make sense. Beam not carried quite so far aft, chines can be a good or be in either sense in my eye/mind. I would probably go with some sort of chine if I were to design a boat for me.

Then I can see a DE being as fast or slow per say going down wind as a transom model, usings D/L's as Bob did, as boats that heavy, are not going to plane etc in either case. Even a local IOR war horse that still wins local races, the transom is soo far off the water, in reality it is a DE boat! And will not plane going down wind for very long, might surf a bit, as any boat can or should depending upon wave size etc. Comparing this boat at 40' to the Jeanneau 44ds at a recent YC even, the Jeanneau appears to have the ability, to sail faster, especially down wind with the correct amount of sail area etc vs shoot the moon!

Marty