SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Dave, I do not disagree with you at all about this. It's great to have someone of his experience who is willing to take the time to explain things for us novices (speaking for myself, not you). That is absolutely true.

But I want to re-emphasize this part of Smack's post...

...it's just really cool to get paid to captain other people's yachts. We're fortunate that he's an articulate and charitable blogger, since that enables us to share in his experience. I suspect there are mundane parts too, and some downright unpleasant work that needs to get done, but the whole concept of getting paid to captain others' yachts is about as cool as it gets.
Agreed. Not sure why you put so much emphasis with the but attached?

BTW I feel like I am a novice compared to Jon in terms of the ocean. He is one of the people I have learned a great deal of factual information from on SN.

An analogy. Everybody proffers they can cook and they make excellent food. Many people write about their enjoyment of cooking and prowess at it, even exchanging recipes. Only a very small percentage of them could hold a candle to a professional chef. And only a very small percentage of that percentage could ever do it as a career or get others to give up their hard earned money for their own original creations. That doesn't mean the amateur cooks and chefs aren't able to critique of have valid opinions about food.

Personally I wouldn't want to captain others yachts and am very happy with the professions I chose. Captaining for a living would ruin for me one of the most important aspects of sailing for me. Relaxation. Its much different if you have a schedule and that kind of responsibility I am sure. Its one reason why Jon is so passionate about the amateur F..ups who may give him a bad name as a professional or the bonehead moves some of us amateurs make. I fully appreciate that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook