SailNet Community - View Single Post - Teak Deck Replacement with Nonskid
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Teak Deck Replacement with Nonskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8kraft View Post
Well, the project continues. I've been really busy. Here's the big bad update on the decks. I'll start with a link to the youtube video walkaround:
YouTube

All the teak is off and the toe rail is almost ready to varnish. I'm going to put 6 coats of Epiphanes varnish on the toe rail. Then I can mask off the bottom and sand it prior to sealing the seam around the toe rail with 3M 4000. I've got to figure out how much I need. I'm thinking I'll go through 4 tubes on the inside and 2 tubes on the outside of each rail, so that's 12 tubes, or a case.

After everything is smooth and I think I'm ready to prime I'll drill holes and test fit the deck hardware. I want all the hardware can go back in the same place it came from and I'm not guesstimating where it came from and things are lopsided on deck. At this point I'll purchase new bolts, washers and nuts to replace the old bronze or stainless hardware that's now too long.

Next I'll prime the deck with about a gallon of Pre-Kote, then paint around the edges of everything with white Interlux Brightsides to match the cabintop, then roll the Durabak.

Finally I'll reinstall all the hardware, get the rig tuned and go sailing! I've still got about a month's worth of work to do!
video shows up as private?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook