SailNet Community - View Single Post - Docking in current
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
Re: Docking in current

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I love that idea. I actually saw that technique taught by an ASA certifying instructor during an ASA instructors class. It was very impressive.
The boat was something like a 38' late model Beniteau with something like 80 hp engine.

From a practical point of view however I have several problems.

I'm not sure I could position the boat on the fender board by myself, he had 4 instructor candidates available and we were all fending off. I would only have one shot and have to hit the exact spot. Too far forward and my bow would go into the next slip. Too far back and I would miss the board.

I really doubt if the engine has enough reverse to make this happen.

The biggest problem however is I can't think of a way to test this.

Maybe 4 guys and towboat.

I like it though in theory and I have seen it done.
I do this in my 30 foot Nonsuch with a 27 hp. Westerbeke. You don't need a big engine. If I understand your diagram, you want help with the ebb tide, so you just need the line to steer, no need for much power.

Pre-position a long (5'?) fenderboard. You will be running parallel to the current so you should be able to lay alongside the piling with that 5' window.

Get a buddy to help the first time. You'll see it's easy.

Search YouTube for Maryland School of Seamanship docking video. They show the technique in that clip. Good luck. I pretty much still suck at docking, but this I can do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook