View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Brent I didn't see it that way. I saw your post as an honest description of what it takes to operate in your world. Not pretty but real. I could relate. When you said, " $40 when I launched her. " I remembered the time when I was working in Boston when I literally had to count the change in my pocket to see what I could buy for dinner. Beans? How many? Six beans? Nine beans?

I hated that. Well,,,I didn't hate it. It was just the life I had chosen. But I knew that I would never be happy in that world. I knew my work was valuable and damn it I was going to get paid a reasonable living. I am happy with the result. I can buy half the grocery store now. I like that.

You chose a tough way to see your dreams realized. I do not envy you. I admire you for working hard to see your vision completed. Hang in there. Do your thing. But don;t try to tell others that "their thing" is not valid or enjoyable.

You might want to take that hair shirt off from time to time. It's not becoming. And it smells bad.
Bob, I have long said that the way I finally came to see myself as being successful was when I realized I could go to the grocery store and buy as much as I cared to buy and not have to worry if I would have to put anything back when I got to the checkout. I know that feeling, from both sides of the situation.

A lot of people measure their success with the toys they have, me I think success is measured by being out of debt, able to live within your means and knowing what the neighbors have is just that, what they have, and you cannot compare yourself to others if you want to be happy.

Some people think that being wealthy means having stuff, I think being wealthy is not having debt on the stuff you have, no matter if it is an old pickup and a dinghy, or a G IV and a megayacht. Just my opinion, but I think it is a decent way to judge success.