SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Jon, I love going 'round with you on these fine forums - in fun. But I will honestly tell you - I am both amazed and envious of the experiences you've had on the number of boats you've sailed.

You're the man.
Thanks for the kind words, Smack, but that's far too generous an assesment, I'm afraid...

Sure, I've been very fortunate to get paid to run others' boats, and that work has taken me to some great places, meet some incredible people, and have rides on some beautiful boats, no question...

But, my experience pales in comparison to some of the other captains and sailors out there... While I've sailed all my life, most of my miles on the water have come aboard stinkpots, after all. Though I doubt there are too many out there who have made more trips up and down the East coast over the past 30 years than I've managed to rack up, it's easy to 'pad' the numbers somewhat by running so many boats capable of making the trip from NJ to Lauderdale in 4 or 5 days... :-)

Only in recent years have I had the time to do many of the longer, more time-consuming passagemaking deliveries under sail that my schedule may not have previously allowed... Even though running boats has occupied a considerable amount of the time I've spent over the years 'working', I've always considered my delivery work to somewhat of a sideline to what until recently was my 'Real' profession...

Shooting racing is how I really achieved Fame & Fortune, after all... :-)

Getting to play with a boat like FAIRWEATHER as if it were my own is a rare privilege, alright... But it doesn't offer quite the same rush as being permitted to be within a couple of meters of F1 cars blasting through the tunnel at Monaco, or being stationed at the exit of Turn 1 at Indy... :-)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-14-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook