SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
You must have every respect for Jon.
Hard on personal/family life. Not in control of his schedule. Not there for some of the little moments that bind us together. S. O. In fear "will he come home?".
Need to deal with owners. Some are entitled jerks. Some are scared. Some think they know more than him.
Need to deal with an unfamiliar boat every time. . What's broken? Where are things?
Responsible for all souls on board. Fiscally responsible for the vessel and needs to deal with the authorities.
Income unpredictable and dependent on word of mouth/reputation.
Then there is seamanship and weather.
I listen closely when Jon posts.
Again, thanks for the kind words, but the delivery business hasn't been THAT tough... :-)

True, my lifestyle would not suit a family man very well, but has suited me just fine... And, I've probably still had far more control over my schedule than most in the workaday world, my schedule as always been somewhat self-imposed, to a large extent...

As far as my clients, I have been remarkably lucky over the years... Sure, there are plenty of horror stories re owners out there, but I could probably count my bad experiences on one hand... Overall, my clients have been absolutely wonderful to deal with, and many of the finest people I have ever known, and have treated me exceptionally well...

Pretty much the same thing with boats, though you do get a pretty good sense of those to be avoided early on in the business... These days, it's the new-fangled, state-of-the-art Latest & Greatest marked by their incredible complexity that scare me... :-)

if there's one thing I've learned over my time delivering yachts, it's the value of the KISS principle...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook