SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013

cheoah is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

The only thing I can imagine, is that they were totally unaware of the bigger weather picture, and were solely relying on VHF forecasts for local waters as they progressed down the Bay, and then on down outside towards Hatteras...
I really think that this may have had a lot to do with it, and that still reflects a lack of judgement and experience. People who sail this stretch of water know that the inlets are mostly unusable, and know the risks in sailing these waters in unsettled weather. Much less with a big Low like that....

I use my iphone for coastal sailing a lot now. A couple of apps would have provided them all the big picture info they needed to just point their boat down the Elizabeth River and avoid failure off Cape Lookout.

Then there was the not fueling up part. Am I remembering that correctly, that they did not bother to tank up before putting out Chesapeake? That was not a conservative approach.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook