SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
agree, except I don't see scuttling the boat as a real course of action.
Huh? it was for Skip Allan, when he abandoned WILDFLOWER...

This is how Bill Schanen put it in SAILING:

The tears are understandable, but this is not a sad story. A boat was lost, but a sailor survived. And unlike so many rescues of yachtsmen in distress, this one put no rescuers’ lives at risk and spent no taxpayers’ money. Nor will Wildflower exact any costs as a derelict menace to shipping. As his final act before leaving her, Skip disconnected the hose from the engine seawater intake, allowing the boat to sink.

If there is such a thing as a class act in abandoning ship, this was it.

Quote:

Lt. Saxon also said that if I left my boat, she would be considered “derelict” and broadcast as a hazard to navigation. I assured her I would not leave my boat floating.

At 1415 hours, one of the world's biggest container ships was bearing down on WILDFLOWER, less than five boat lengths (125 feet) dead ahead, the huge bulb bow scending 20 feet and making a five foot breaking wave. With my heart in my throat, I motored down the starboard side of a gigantic black wall, made a U turn, and pulled alongside the pilot's door and rope ladder.

The crew threw a heaving line, and in the next five minutes we transferred three bags. Knowing I was next, I jumped below decks, said a final quick goodbye, and pulled the already unclamped hose off the engine salt water intake thru hull.

Skip Allan's Report - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook