SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone make new teak pieces on deck
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone make new teak pieces on deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
Really the main bad thing is that alot of the bungs and screws are sticking up I assumed cuz of erosion and 40 years of cleaning. I did get the scotchbrite pads and with a laundry soap, bleech, and that tsp or whatever to clean the wood as instructed in "this old boat". I will rinse well and apply the cetol I already purchased. It will be good enough. I'll put my money towards new lifelines. Sooooooo, covered or uncovered in the Great lakes?
Ah.. I've dealt with this.
You need a 3/8" plug cutter here's the self centering type. and a piece of scrap teak. or you can buy the bungs. On my handrails we used 1/2" plugs.

The screw heads are problem. if you can get the screws out. counter drill the hole but not so deep the you go al the way through. Use a flat head screw instead of the round head that are in there. Don't use counter sink screws they can split old wood. If the holes are real bad and deep after you get the screws out you can just epoxy bungs in and redrill. You can sometimes just plug the old and drill a new one nearby the old.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook