SailNet Community - View Single Post - Schaefer Snapfurl
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013

Balmybarry is on a distinguished road
Re: Schaefer Snapfurl

I would advise caution when thinking of buying Schaefer's Snapfurl. I have a 24' C&C Shark and ordered a new headsail this Spring. It was delayed in delivery, so, embarrassed, my sail maker volunteered to install the Snapfurl I had bought at the Boat Show for me. Thank goodness he did. He is a strong young man, I'm not!
Firstly the extruded plastic comes rolled up in a box, so it has to be straightened out. On the cover of the Instructions manual is a warning not to attempt to install in cold weather. "Cold" is a relative term. What's cold where Snapfurl is manufactured would probably be considered mild in Canada. Eventually, in June, with the help of a heat gun and after a considerable struggle we (mainly he) finally snapped the two halves of the furling gear on to the forestay, but we had to do this on land after taking down the mast. It should have been possible to install the gear on the forestay on the boat, but that proved to be impossible.

In theory Snapfurl looks ideal for a small boat; in practice its installation was beyond me!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook