SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
This guy is taking some crit for not having his priorities straight. Interesting. His first priority is running. And, he's got a big race to run. He's not going to let the minor detail of his abandoned boat showing up unexpectedly interfere with those plans.

There is a saying regarding the material things in life that goes something like this: Do we own our toys or do they own us? In that regard how many times have the toys we own dictated how we spent our time? Not the planned time but the unplanned events? Example - storm is predicted to pass nearby, gotta get down to the boat and batten everything down etc etc etc!!!! Do you own that boat or does it own you?

While there is much to criticize in this story, his not letting the details interfere with what's really important to him, that's something to admire. Though I believe most people don't get it.
I don't think it is anything to admire in the fact that he took completely unnecessary risks, in his "adventure" that he was completely unprepared for. He inconvenienced the tanker in asking them to save him. He leaves his boat to drift as the article said through busy shipping lanes(should have scuttled it seems he had plenty of time), so he put those in the shipping lanes at risk. He can't be bothered to get insurance on the boat. He is surprised that it just shows up, what did he think it would just disappear after he abandoned it. He seems happy to have his collection of running shoes back?

Oh don't let your responsibilities get in the way of a race. No way, just leave your boat on the beach for others to deal with. Yea, that is something to admire, unfortunately it is what is becoming the American way, no need to take responsibility for our own actions. It must be someone else fault, can't be mine. Hum who should I sue about this, it cant be my fault after all they let me sail out into the open ocean alone, unprepared, not knowing what I was doing and not knowing what to expect. Perhaps it is my parents faults, after all they raised me to be irresponsible. Yea I can admire that, oh no wait I can't because it is called being irresponsible.

If you own a boat, yes you should be responsible and take care of it. If you are not willing to do that then don't buy one, join a sail club and pay them to take care of it for you. Unfortunately our lives are full of responsibilities.

Last edited by miatapaul; 07-15-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook