SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Insurance Nuances - do I have it wrong?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar
Boat Insurance Nuances - do I have it wrong?

Hey gang,

I recently read this post from Rode Trip who I have been following for some time:
When Life Deals Lemons? | Rode Trip

Their troubles in finding insurance doesn't surprise me with the older boat they have, but I suppose my question is more basic than that.

1. Why do you NEED insurance to sail?.... purely speaking... If you've got an old boat you're willing to take a loss on (say it sinks), then why insure it?

2. I understand you may need insurance for being in certain marinas, so why is it so hard to get coverage for basic marina stuff and that's it? There's tons of boats out there, why is it so hard to insure them?

3. Has the absence of insurance prevented anyone from cruising anywhere? If so, where?

4. They mention ways around insurance requirements, I've also heard of this from other sources. It no doubt works, but still.... is there no other option?

As someone who is looking to cruise a lot in the future, this is an issue i am not terribly well versed in and it caught me by surprise.

Thanks for the insights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook