SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
Little worked up there?

How many boats are scuttled as they abandoned? Percentage? I would wager most are not.
True but most should be, and if not salvage arrangements be made. Again he is not taking responsibility for his actions.

Quote:
He took five months to prepare and outfit the boat. How much more prepared could he be? As for the weather, to get experience you have to live through it. IMO, he gave up the ship too readily. That was poor judgement because he lacked experience. A more experienced sailor would have told him to sit down and shut up! The boat is just fine! Butttt, he didn't have the experience and he made what he believed was the right call.

OTOH, thousands have gone before him and done exactly what he attempted to do, sail a small boat across the ocean. And they did it! Successfully!!! Most had little or no previous experience. Some have gone on to write books about it and be hailed by the sailing community as heros of sort. That's the flip side. Yet, they were no more prepared than this guy.
Because others are irresponsible does not mean that you should be as well. 5 months is nowhere near enough time to gain the experience necessary. Others have done it yes, Tania Aebi (but she did it in a new and outfitted boat) is one example who just happened to survive. But it is not uncommon for a fit out of a new to you boat to take years, to do it right for real offshore voyages. 5 months experience sailing is nothing, unlikely to even see much bad weather in that time, and if he was outfitting his boat during that time likely only a a little bit of time on the actual water.

Quote:
On leaving the boat. Did i read this wrong or did he hire a tow company to to get the boat off? That sounds to me an awfull lot like taking responsibility. Regardless, short of hitting it with a Sawz-all what's he supposed to do?

Then there's the legal question because he abandoned the boat does he still own it?

That he thought the boat was at such peril that he is surprised it didn't sink tells you that at the time he got off he thought the boat wasn't going to make it.

The CG was aware of the boat floating out there and did nothing. The Edgartown Fire Department did nothing to keep the boat off the beach, even though they could have easily taken it in tow, and you are PO'd at this guy? The guy's plans are to live his life, which in this case means running that race. IMO, good for him! After-all, standing on the beach trying to give it a good push isn't going to help, so why not?

Well it is not the Fire department's job to tow his boat, and would likely open them to liability. Again trying to shirk responsibilities off on someone else.

I don't know if he hired the salvage operation or if they are doing it to claim the boat. Legally he still owns it and is responsible for any damages it may do, including environmental. But anyone who pulls the boat off the beach can claim ownership if they want, as that is marine salvage law. I doubt he will show back up to clean up or pay for his salvage. Does not seem to be in his character from what we have seen so far. And yes if he needs to he should be the one taking a sawz-all to it if need be, or at least interrupting his busy racing schedule to manage the job. Again I don't see any trace of admirable actions on his part. After all it is just easier to drive away in a nice air conditioned RV. Why do you seem so happy to see him shirk his responsibility? You seem a bit defensive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook