SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Brent
I posted this a few days ago.
Unless I missed it, if I did I'm sorry talk to me about the paint.

Brent says his paint job has lasted 29 years. AllGrip is generally expected to last about 10 years so I wonder what paint he has used?

Maybe today's paint is not as good.

Brent I'm going to order your book for whatever that is worth.

As for the rest of you I don't read what Brent says as untruthful as much as from a different world.
We all end up on a different path of life. Some of us go to college, so military some big city business some farming etc.

I don't doubt that Brent has done exactly what he has said such as welding up a steel 36' hull in a couple days.
But I've been around long enough to know that a 45' to 50' hull might be a totally different thing.
The days are probably a little more that 8 hours.
There was significant preparation before the building started (days or weeks)
It is not going to look like a Catalina when it is done.
Fairing and painting can take as long as I want to play with it.
The chances of me being able to scrounge enough for the rig, interior, propulsion etc is not likely. That hasn't been my world.

So the chances of it working out for me is slim. I'm still going to buy the book because I admire people who do things differently from the norm and I might be able to learn something.

I think you all have to admit that a lot of what Brent says makes a lot of sense. Welded deck with no holes. Stainless rail with weep holes outboard etc.

I'll bet that their isn't a square inch of hull inside or out that is not inspectable. If every square inch of 1/4" steel is coated in a 1/16 inch of epoxy plus paint in side and out I could believe that all you have to do is touch up the paint once in a while.
Especially if anyplace their ever was any wear he welded in a piece of stainless.

The plywood interior was often scavenged so I doubt if it looks like a Sabre. It is probably painted with house paint but so what.

Trying to compare what Brent does to what Bob does doesn't make any sense at all. The product is too different. The people drawn to one or the other is too different.

I remember a story about some pirates that lost their ship on an island. They used the bowsprit from their wrecked boat as the keel to build a get-away ship and built it from what they could salvage from the big boat.
They build a forge and reworked iron they salvaged into whatever they needed.
It took a couple months but they sailed away.

This is one of my favorite stories.
That

I noticed that the website hosting it went down so I rescued it from archive.org and posted it on my site.
This guy built this boat from scratch in the jungle of latin america.
Shows that someone with a lot of skill, talent and determination can do.
I see Brent in the same category of these guys. A dying breed.

I'm still interested in the paint job Brent if you are still around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg launching1.jpg (42.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by davidpm; 07-15-2013 at 11:35 PM.