SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013

CheckedOutRob is on a distinguished road
Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??

I've been looking for a year now for a cruising yacht 40-45 feet. My budget is $170. That money I thought would find me with a boat that needs some items fixed or one big item and a few small ones.

Am I not being realistic? Am I naive in thinking that money would get me an ocean worthy boat not at all bristol condition but mostly good to go with a few months of work?
So far I've walked a **** ton of boats and they are all just a wreck. Buyers are not representing themselves. I understand where a buyer wants to get you on the boat but I just get pissed off by them wasting my time. I find the items listed as new are either missing or many years old. And, does "teak in great condition" mean I'm supposed to ignore the miles of hardened peeled up caulking in-between all that teak????

My favorite new euphemism is "deferred maintenance". It is so glaringly obvious when someone has not done squat to their boat for at least the last five years. Not even hose it off. Sure your engine has less than 1,000 hours but you have not changed your oil in 4 years and the head pump-out pump has failed and those tanks are full and sitting there for years!!! I just ran across this today. Oh, and your transmission is completely devoid of any liquid product resembling lubricant!

I am in Seattle now this being my second trip here in one month flying up from Los Angeles area. What a waste of time and money.

Just looked at a 44' boat that was represented as "recent extensive refit". I paid for the haul and pressure wash ($475) and inspection ($800) plus engine survey ($275). ******* keel to hull join has delaminations, crack in rudder fin, and here's the best one of all THE HULL IS DISTORTED BECAUSE THE MAST HAS SHOVED THE BILGES DOWN AWAY FROM THE BULKHEAD. The radar and chart plotter are so old they are not worth dealing with. It has the wrong prop (18 instead of 16) and it can't make full rpm's and on and on.

And I'm not looking at silly boats (HunterBenLinas). My short list is Passport 40, Nordic 44, Passport 42/Slocum 43 and the likes and about any Perry boat worthy of crossing oceans.

LOOK. IF YOU ARE A SELLER DON'T FREEKING LYE TO MY FACE -I'M GONNA FIND THIS STUFF OUT ANYWAY. STOP BEING A DOUCHBAG.

Is it supposed to be this difficult? What am I doing wrong? Really dismayed with the whole process so far.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook