SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you wear a life jacket?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhamlet View Post
I do wear a life jacket/inflatable with sailing knife, strobe light,VHF radio, laser flare, the whole ball of wax. (whistle too) Let me tell you why. One lovely evening I was sailing back from Annancapa Island without a life vest. The wind was fading but there was still a nice little swell coming in about every 8-9 seconds apx 3 ft. I was standing on the cockpit seats when a rather large wave came rolling through and I lost my balance and fell full force against the life lines. They held but I thought if I had fallen just a foot or to higher I would be overboard looking at a 4-5 mile swim in fading light in mid 60's water temps. Not good. It was mid week so there were no other boats in sight except for a distant freighter trucking North at about 20-25 kts. How could they have seen me fall? They couldn't. Any way, I do wear it all the time and this is just one reason why.

Brad
Lancer 36
Nothing like staring your own mortality in the face to focus your decisions. Your loved ones are better off, too. Thanks for the clear example.

Stay safe and keep smiling.

Down